Thursday, September 29, 2011

Newest Craze - Paper Medallions

These medallions seem to be the biggest craze in the crafting world.  They are also called lollies; however, according to Webster's, the definition doesn't fit this art decoration.

I made my medallion using a 1" x 12" piece of Designers Series Paper (DSP).  I scored on one side every 1/4" and 3/4" mark, flipped it over and score at every 1/2" and whole number mark.  By scoring on both sides, I found it easier to accordion fold back and forth.

I tried several adhesives and found these products worked the best:
  • Sticky strip for connecting the two ends together (Sticky Strip does not hold down the folds of the medallion.  I've tried it, don't waste your time - my medallions popped apart,)
  • I placed my paper inside a Starbuck's Frappuccino cap and pushed down the medallion *
  • Hot glue (low temp) a backer circle, flip it over and put hot glue down through the center.  Hold in place until glue hardens.
  • I attached my medallion to the tag using Liquid Multipurpose Glue
Stampin' Up! Products - my tag
  • Chocolate Chip, Really Rust and Whisper White cardstock
  • Designer Series Paper - Autumn vine
  • Really Rust ink
  • More Mustard 1/4" grosgrain ribbon (8 inches)
  • Two Tags Sizzix Die
  • Boho Blossoms and Trio Flower punches
  • Liquid Multipurpose Glue
  • Sticky Strip
Other Products
  • Pearl, brown
  • Hot Glue / low temp
  • Stamp
* This is the best method to fan out your paper.  The inside of the cap allows the folds to be more uniformly spaced.  I found this video on YouTube video that helped me with my medallions (HERE).

These tags would be a perfect tag for a wine bottle.

No comments: