Wednesday, November 16, 2011

"Performs related duties as assigned."

Did you ever have a job description that listed a number of responsibilities and the last one was "Performs related duties as assigned?" My job description as a senior secretary at Kent State University included that description. This was one of my assigned duties.....

WAIT FOR IT!!!

.....turn a bus into a boat.

Gilligan's  Island

This is what happens when your employer knows you can sew.  Under this ship is an ENTIRE BUS!  This boat float was made in the mid 1990's.

I was responsible for:
  • Creating the pattern
  • Tracing the pattern
  • Sewing material to metal frame
Praise the Lord they didn't make me dress up as Gilligan. 

I worked in the Campus Bus Service Department.  Every other year or so, we gutted the inside of a bus that was no longer usable and created a float for the Homecoming Parade. 

Our first float was the magic lamp from the movie Aladdin.  We paper mached a bus that was wrapped in chicken wire - what a mess that was.  We also created space shuttle and diner restaurant.  Phew....glad those days are behind me.

The moral of the story:  Keep your mouth shut!

No comments: